Ellen M. McDowell, Esq.
Professional History and Achievements
I am a shareholder and founding member of McDowell Posternock Apell & Detrick, PC. My practice consists of representing debtors and creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, commercial and consumer litigation, wills, trusts and estates, real estate and land use. I am admitted to practice in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, including federal courts in the District Court of New Jersey, the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
I graduated from Rutgers University Law School Camden cum laude with a Tax Honors Certificate in 1988. I began my career in the banking and bankruptcy group at Drinker Biddle & Reath in Philadelphia.
I have lectured on bankruptcy for the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and the Camden County Bar Association. I have written articles on bankruptcy law for the Legal Intelligencer and The Barrister and contributed to the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Mortgage Foreclosure treatise for several years. I am a member of the New Jersey Bar Association and the Burlington and Camden County Bar Associations. I have served as a trustee of the Camden County Bar Association since 2009.
Areas of Practice:
- Commercial Litigation
- Wills, Trusts and Estates
- Real Estate
- Land Use Law
- Family Law
- Employment Law
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Rutgers University School of Law – Camden, NJ
- J.D. – 1988
- Honors: cum laude
- Tax Honors Certificate
- University of Delaware – Newark, Delaware
- B.A. – English
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Burlington County Bar Association
- Camden County Bar Association – Trustee
- Lectured on bankruptcy for the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Lectured on bankruptcy for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Written articles for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Mortgage Foreclosure seminar materials
- Written articles on bankruptcy law for the Legal Intelligencer and The Barrister
- I am the president of Main Street Maple Shade, Inc., an organization dedicated to the revitalization of Maple Shade, New Jersey under the National Historic Trust for Historic Preservation’s Main Street program.
- I am a former president of the Maple Shade Business Association and the Maple Shade Rotary Club. I am currently a member of those associations, as well as the Maple Shade Advisory Board of Commerce.