Recovering from Your Burlington County Bankruptcy
One of the reasons many people hesitate to file for bankruptcy is because they are afraid of how it will impact their future. The truth about bankruptcy is that if you are in debt, declaring bankruptcy is one of the best ways to chart your course for financial recovery. It is, however, important to develop a plan with your NJ bankruptcy attorney about how you are going to recover and rebuild your credit and chart out your new financial path.
During your bankruptcy proceedings, the financial management course will help you learn how to better manage your money to prevent future financial issues. Although your bankruptcy will appear on your credit report for 10 years, this is an important time period to demonstrate you have become more responsible with your finances.
Here are some important tips to consider after being discharged from bankruptcy:
- Create a monthly budget. Chart your expenses for each month so you know how much money is left over for your savings or to use as discretionary income.
- Start a savings plan. Designate a certain amount from each paycheck to deposit into your savings. It is best to keep at least three months pay in your savings account at all times.
- Live within your means, thoroughly evaluating your wants versus needs. Big-ticket items like trips and vehicle down payments can come from the savings you build.
- Use credit cards with caution. Be selective about which credit cards you apply for and how many you use. Make sure you can pay the balance off on each card every month.
- Keep vigilant track of your credit score. Request a credit report from each of the three major companies at least once a year. If a discharged debt still shows on your credit report, contact your McDowell Posternock Apell & Detrick, PC bankruptcy attorney so they can fight to correct the error.
Seek bankruptcy advice with a free phone consultation
If you are concerned about how bankruptcy will impact your credit and financial future, it is best to seek the counsel of an experienced NJ bankruptcy attorney. The knowledgeable South Jersey bankruptcy attorneys at McDowell Posternock Apell & Detrick, PC will explain all your options and dispel the myths you may have heard about bankruptcy. Call us today or fill out our contact form to schedule a free phone consultation and learn more about how bankruptcy can help.